Terms and conditions for RSPCA Young Photographer Awards 2021
1. The RSPCA Young Photographer Awards 2021 competition (the "Competition") is run by the Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (a charity registered in England and Wales, No. 219099), Wilberforce Way, Southwater, Horsham, West Sussex RH13 9RS (the "RSPCA"). These terms and conditions also refer to RSPCA Trading Limited Company no. 01072608 (the charity's trading arm which gives all its profits to the RSPCA).
2. Your entry to the Competition can only be accepted online by registering at https://www.young.rspca.org.uk/ypa/home and uploading your images on our dedicated portal. Please do not send it by post or email as unfortunately they will not be read or considered unless exceptionally, you have contacted us to make a prior arrangement.
3. The Competition is open to you if you live full-time in the United Kingdom and will be aged 18 years or below on Monday 16 August 2021, unless you are a child or close relative of the judges of the competition (see para 26), or of employees of the RSPCA and Natures Images and Camtraptions. Proof of age, identity and eligibility may be requested.
4. Entrants 15 or younger must have a parent or legal guardian's permission to enter the Competition. Please supply a valid email address for your parent or legal guardian, who will be contacted by the RSPCA to consent on your behalf to these terms and conditions of entry to the Competition.
5. Entries must be an original photograph/s that you have taken relating to an animal or animals and must fulfil the criteria for one or more of the following categories, set out in more detail at https://www.young.rspca.org.uk/ypa/categories
Details on all categories can be found on the YPA categories page.
6. The main categories in the Competition are: A) Camera only photos, categorised by age: Under 12 Years, 12-15 Years, 16-18 Years; B) Photos taken using any digital device (i.e. cameras, phones and tablets), categorised as follows: Portfolio, Picture Perfect Pets, Instagram, Peoples Choice, Animal Welfare Watch and Small World; and C) Mobile Phone and Devices categories are for images taken on mobile phones or tablets only.
A) Camera only, by age group
7. Under 12 Years category: Open to entrants who are 11 years old and under on Monday 16 August 2021 (no minimum age). A maximum of five photos per entrant is permitted in this category. Camera photos only, no mobile phone or devices accepted.
8. 12-15 Years category: Open to entrants who are aged 12 years or older but younger than 16 years old on Monday 16 August 2021. A maximum of five photos per entrant is permitted in this category. Camera photos only, no mobile phone or devices accepted.
9. 16-18 Years category: Open to entrants who are aged 16 years or older but younger than 18 years old on Monday 16 August 2021. A maximum of five photos per entrant is permitted in this category. Camera photos only, no mobile phone or devices accepted.
B) Any digital device (i.e. cameras, phones and tablets)
N.B. All photos chosen to be finalists in these categories, other than the winning photos picked by the judges, will automatically be entered into the People's Choice Award (which opens in February/March 2022, for online public voting).
The judges will shortlist a maximum of 15 images from the Mobile Phone and Devices and Picture Perfect Pets and Small World categories that will then be put to the public vote for the People's Choice Award. The owners of these 15 shortlisted photos will be contacted at this time. For further information, see: https://www.young.rspca.org.uk/ypa/categories/peopleschoice
10. Portfolio: Open to entrants aged 18 or younger on Monday 16 August 2021 (no minimum age). A maximum of three 'portfolios' may be submitted in this category; each portfolio must contain five different images.
11. Perfect Picture Pets: Open to entrants aged 18 or under on Monday 16 August 2021 (no minimum age). A maximum of five photos per entrant is permitted in this category.
12. Small World category: Open to entrants aged 18 or under on Monday 16 August 2021 (no minimum age). A maximum of five photos per entrant is permitted in this category.
13. Animal Welfare Watch (Under 12): Open to entrants aged 12 or under on Monday 16 August 2021 (no minimum age). A maximum of five photos per entrant is permitted in this category.
14. Animal Welfare Watch (12-18): Open to entrants who are aged 12 years or older but younger than 18 years old on Monday 16 August 2021.
15. Instagram: Open to entrants aged 18 or under on Monday 16 August 2021 (a minimum age of 13). A maximum of five photos per entrant is permitted in this category.
C) Mobile phones and devices (i.e. mobile phones and tablets)
16. Mobile Phone and Devices: Open to entrants aged 18 or under on Monday 16 August 2021 (no minimum age). A maximum of five photos per entrant is permitted in this category. Three winners will be awarded depending on age group: One under 12s; one 12-15; and one 16-18.
Entry and specifications
17. All entries should be submitted using the upload service at https://www.young.rspca.org.uk/ypa/home. Parents/guardians submitting on behalf of an entrant aged 15 years and under will be required to approve the entry and agree to these Terms and Conditions (including the RSPCA's use of the photo) on behalf of the entrant, and must provide their own contact and personal details (not the child's).
18. Entrants are restricted to one online account. Any entrant found to have multiple accounts may be disqualified.
19. Any camera photos submitted to category C, or mobile phone images (including other devices) submitted to category A, may be disqualified. The same or similar photos may not be entered into more than one of the five possible categories referred to above. However, the RSPCA and Competition judges have the discretion to move photos into a different category if they deem it more appropriate.
20. All photos entered into the Competition must be a faithful representation of what the photographer saw at the time of taking the photo. Digital adjustments are only acceptable if they are for minor cleaning work, levels, curves, colour, saturation and contrast work. Entrants will be disqualified from the Competition if the RSPCA or the judges believe that the images have been manipulated or are not the entrant's original work. You may be asked to provide a digital negative or 'Raw' file (if your camera makes them); always keep the original image file. Images submitted with watermarks, copyright information, frames, overuse of filters or other digital effects, use of stickers and emojis and images that cannot be judged anonymously will be rejected.
21. Images uploaded should be no larger than 10MB. Make sure the image you upload is a JPEG and the highest quality image you have, sized no smaller than 600x600 pixels, but keep the 'Raw' file(s).
22. Entrants should not do anything to upset or stress animals in attempting to photograph them. Photos will be rejected from the Competition if the RSPCA or the judges believe that the photos show an animal in distress, or if they contain any unsuitable content. Please read each category for more information.
23. Entries cannot be returned so please retain a copy.
24. The same or similar photos to those entered into the Competition must not be entered into any other competition where the announcement of the winners is before 16 December 2021. Any photos entered that have previously won in a national or international photography competition will be rejected.
25. The opening date for entries is Tuesday 4 May 2021.
26. The closing date for online entries is Monday 16 August 2021 at 12pm UK time. Any entries received by the RSPCA after this time will be rejected.
27. All entrants have the right to withdraw their entry prior to the closing date of Monday 16 August 2021 by 12pm by sending an email request to firstname.lastname@example.org. The entrant's account will be closed as soon as reasonably possible.
28. The judges of the Competition are named on https://young.rspca.org.uk/ypa/home. The RSPCA will create a shortlist of the photos for each category, which will then be judged anonymously by the panel of judges.
29. All finalists in the Competition (other than Peoples Choice finalists) will be notified by the RSPCA by email or letter, no later than Friday 22 October 2021. The decisions of the judges and the RSPCA are final and no correspondence will be entered into.
30. Unsuccessful entrants will not be contacted in respect of their entry. Although we are grateful to and would like to encourage the efforts of, all participants, unfortunately, we cannot give feedback on unsuccessful entries.
31. Prizes provided by the Competition's supporters will be awarded to the winners of each category, as decided by the judges, as described below. Additional prizes may be awarded to runners-up in each of the categories but this is at the sole discretion of the judges and the RSPCA.
32. The winner of the Under 12 Years category will win the opportunity to take part in an exclusive photography shoot with the RSPCA and a wildlife photographer at a time and place the RSPCA decides is most suitable in consultation with the winners, Amazon vouchers to the value of £200 and a trophy.
33. The winner of the 12-15 Years category will win the opportunity to take part in an exclusive photography shoot with the RSPCA and a wildlife photographer at a time and place the RSPCA decides is most suitable in consultation with the winners, Amazon vouchers to the value of £350 and a trophy.
34. The winner of the 16-18 Years category will win the opportunity to take part in an exclusive photography shoot with the RSPCA and a wildlife photographer at a time and place the RSPCA decides is most suitable in consultation with the winners, Amazon vouchers to the value of £500 and a trophy.
35. The winner of the Mobile Phone and Devices category will win Amazon vouchers to the value of £100 (Under 12s), £200 (12-15) and £300 (16-18) and a trophy each. Three winners will be selected, one in each of the following age groups: Under 12s, 12-15 and 16-18.
36. The winner of the Peoples Choice Award drawn from runners up in this category, Picture Perfect Pets and Small World will win a trophy and a certificate and £100 of Amazon vouchers.
The winner of the Picture Perfect Pets category will win Amazon vouchers to the value of £200 and a trophy.
37. The winner of the Portfolio category will win Amazon vouchers to the value of £500 and a trophy.
38. The winner of the Small World category will win Amazon vouchers to the value of £200 and a trophy.
39. The winner of the Animal Welfare Watch (Under 12) category will win Amazon vouchers to the value of £150 and a trophy. The winner's school will receive a framed print of the image.
40. The winner of the Animal Welfare Watch (12-18) category will win Amazon vouchers to the value of £150 and a trophy. The winner's school will receive a framed print of the image.
41. The winner of the Instagram category will win Amazon vouchers to the value of £100 and a trophy.
42. An Overall Winner Award prize will be awarded to one of the winners of the above categories whose photo is selected by the judges. The winner will receive a UK weekend photography break, courtesy of Natures Images: for the winner and one accompanying adult. Travel to the location of the holiday is not included.
43. Prizes are non-exchangeable and no cash alternatives will be offered. The RSPCA may substitute a reasonably equivalent prize if any of the above prizes are unavailable for any reason. Prizes will be presented at an official awards ceremony (which may take place physically or virtually at the RSPCA's discretion) in December 2021 where the winners will be announced. Winners will be invited to the awards ceremony, however, the RSPCA cannot pay for any travel or accommodation.
44. If we do not receive a response after notifying an entrant that they have been selected as a winner, or if any selected winner becomes not contactable at any time up to and including the awards ceremony, the RSPCA and/or the judges may select another winner in their place.
45. Each entrant (or entrant's parent or legal guardian if the entrant is aged 16 or under) agrees that, only for the purposes of promoting the Competition and future RSPCA Young Photographer Awards, the RSPCA may (1) use the entrant's first name, surname, county and age and (2) disclose the entrant's name and age to third parties. The RSPCA shall seek the entrant's prior consent (and/or the entrant's parent or legal guardian's prior consent if the entrant is aged 16 or under) before disclosing any further personal data to third parties. The RSPCA will not post the names and details of entrants aged under 13 years online without the entrant's parental or guardian¿s consent.
46. Personal information provided by finalists will be used for the purposes of administering the Competition where necessary (for example the provision of prizes as necessary for this purpose) and contacting the entrant about the next year's competition and in accordance with the RSPCA's Privacy notice: https://rspca.org.uk/privacy. The RSPCA will use the contact details of the entrant's parent or guardian to seek their consent to the entrant's participation in the Competition and administering their child's entry. The personal data of winners will be kept to enable the uses of their photos as described below.
47. All photos submitted must be the original work of the entrant and must not infringe the rights of any other person. The RSPCA cannot be liable if another person's rights are breached, and the parent or guardian of the entrant agrees to indemnify the RSPCA and/or RSPCA Trading Ltd* in respect of any claim from a third party that the entrant's work infringes their rights.
48. Entrants retain the copyright in their submitted photos. However, by entering the Competition under these terms, the entrant gives the RSPCA and RSPCA Trading Ltd* a perpetual, non-exclusive, worldwide royalty-free licence to use, reproduce, exhibit and post the submitted photos in any and all media, including media platforms yet to be envisaged for the purposes of promoting and publicising this Competition or future RSPCA Young Photographer Awards.
For potential use on products of the RSPCA or third parties licensed by the RSPCA, the entrant's permission will be sought, including use on RSPCA licensed products, which will be agreed as the subject of a separate agreement.
49. Wherever possible, the RSPCA will credit the entrant as the photographer.
Entrants agree in para 44 that the RSPCA may use the credited entry on its website for the duration of five years, after which all names and attribution will be removed.
50. The RSPCA cannot be responsible for any entries that are lost, delayed, misdirected, damaged or incomplete, or for failure to receive or properly register any entries due to any technical failure or malfunction or other reason. The RSPCA reserves the right to amend these Terms and Conditions or cancel this Competition at any stage, if deemed necessary in its opinion, or if circumstances arise outside of its control. In either case, we will give notice to entrants by posting the changes on the Competition website.
51. Entrants/their parents/guardians will be deemed to have accepted these terms and conditions and to agree to be bound by them when registering.
52. The law applicable to the Competition is English Law.